Table of contents
How to enable TikTok login in WordPress
1. Create a TikTok App
To be able to log in via TikTok you must create a TikTok app first.
- Navigate to https://developers.tiktok.com/
- Log in to your TikTok developer account or register one if you don’t have any!
- On the top right corner click on My apps then click on the Connect a new app option.
- A modal will appear where you need to select an image as App icon and enter a name into the App name field.
- Press the Start button.
- For Platform choose the Web option.
- Under the Basic info section you should fill all of the required fields.
- Scroll down to the Platform info section.
- Into the Callback URL field add the URL that Nextend Social Login suggests at the backend.
- Enter your domain name to the Redirect domain field.
- Under the Permissions section you need to make sure the option user.info.basic is checked.
- Into the Reason for using field you should write a text, that describes what you are going to do with the App. In this particular case, you will use it to offer TikTok login option for your visitors.
- Press the Submit button.
- Wait until your App gets approved. This can take a couple of days. If you scroll up to the top of the page you will be able to find the Application Status below the name of your App.
- Once the Application Status says Approved, the Client Key and Client Secret will appear below the Application Status text. You will need these for the provider configuration.
2. App setup
Once your TikTok app is ready you’ll need to copy and paste the Client Key and Client Secret to the TikTok provider’s Settings tab.
Once your Client Key and Client Secret has been added you need to verify the setup first. This verification helps you identify possible problems with the app.
The Client Key of your TikTok app. You can find it at under your App’s App info section.
The Client Secret of your TikTok app. You can find it at under your App’s App info section.
Username prefix on Register
Whenever a new user registers with their TikTok account they can get a custom prefix so you can easily identify them.
Fallback username prefix on register
Whenever a new user registers with their TikTok account and we can not generate a valid username from the first name or last name, a random username will be generated. With this option they can get a custom prefix so you can easily identify them.
Terms and conditions
This option can only be seen, if Terms and conditions is set to Show in Global Settings → Privacy tab. Here you can set custom Terms and Conditions for users who register with TikTok. For more information please read our GDPR documentation.
Profile image size
The avatar will be stored with the selected size.
Common error messages returned by TikTok during verification
Verify Settings popup displays the TikTok for Developers page
The URL of the Popup will look something like this: https://open-api.tiktok.com/platform/oauth/undefined
The “Callback URL” or the “Redirect domain” that you added to your App is not correct. Check the Getting Started section of the TikTok provider and make sure you added the suggested URLs to your App!
Verify Settings popup displays a broken authorization screen
The Authorization screen displays no icons, no texts and the buttons have no labels either.
The problem is that, the entered Client Key field is not correct for your app or maybe the app with the corresponding Client Key was deleted. Go to the TikTok Developers page and open your App, and make sure the Client Key that you copied is the same as the one that you entered into Nextend Social Login!
The Client Secret you copied from the TikTok app is invalid. Make sure the correct one was copied!
TikTok registers accounts without email address
The TikTok API can not return email address or phone number. For this reason we are not able to get these details, so we need to register the new accounts with no email address.
If you want to avoid the accounts with no email address, then you should set the Ask E-mail on registration to “When email is not provided or empty”. This way whenever a user registers with TikTok, Nextend Social Login will display an input field where the user will need to enter an email address manually before the registration.